The Sri Vishnu Sahasranam is found in the Mahabharata, Anusasana Parva, Section 149, verses 14 to 120, and authored by Srila Vyasadeva. Many devotees chant this everyday; if this is not convenient they perform this at least on their birthdays, on eclipse days and on the day which sun moves from one zodiac sign to another.
The chanting of the Vishnu Sahasra Nama is said by sastras to ward off troubles that arise from the position of stars, planets, anger of rulers, incurable diseases and ruthless enemies. Moreover this purifies the mind there by letting one gain more inner poise for meditation, allows us greater understanding of the characteristics of the Lord, and invokes His energy into our life and consciousness.
Benefits of Performing Vishnu sahasranamarchana:
- If a Brahmana does this he succeeds in mastering the Vedanta.
- If a Kshatriya does it, he becomes always successful in battle.
- A Vaisya, by doing it, becomes possessed of affluence.
- A Sudra earns great happiness.
- If one becomes desirous of earning the merit of righteousness, one succeeds in earning it (by hearing or reciting these names).
- If it is wealth that one desires, one succeeds in earning wealth (by acting in this way).